Resident School Survivor
James is from the Adams Lake Indian Band in British Columbia. He attended Kamloops Residential School from 1964 to 1974, and experienced the hardships and abuses that students endured. He left the school when he was 16 years old, and dealt with the negative impacts from his time there.
In the 1980s
After dealing with the devastating impacts of Residential Schools, James found healing and wellness through reconnecting with his family. He was able to meet and build relationships with his sisters and brothers who were taken as part of the Sixties Scoop. He is a father and grandfather and hopes that sharing his story can lead to greater awareness.
RECOMMENDATION: USAY strongly recommends that you complete Della’s Story first before James’ Story, as this make the most sense for knowledge building.
An Online Escape RoomJames’ Story is the second virtual escape room created by USAY to build deeper understanding about Residential Schools and Indigenous history, if you have not already, please start with Della’s Story. In this virtual, hosted escape room, teams are positioned as news producers trying to understand the history, impacts and legacy of Residential Schools, while meeting a deadline for the evening news broadcast. Through Survivor interviews, archive documents, and teamwork, you learn everything you need to create a final story for your news anchor and tell the truth, understand healing and begin the pathway toward reconciliation.
Join USAY and your friends in James’ Story! Take 90 minutes to learn more about Residential Schools on your path toward reconciliation.
- Teams: 3 to 8 people recommended
- Classroom formats available for schools
- Ages 14+ only (not recommended below high school age)
- All times are in Mountain Time (9AM, 11AM, 1PM, 3PM), if you need other accommodations for time please reach out
- Cost: Now free for a limited time, donations are accepted to allow other groups to participate
- If you have special requests, reach out to USAY and we can try to accommodate different groups sizes.
- Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you need additional accommodations or have questions
- For time changes and or refund policy click here